Hiking Trail Conditions Report
Peaks North Tripyramid (attempt), NH
Trails: Livermore Road, Scaur Ridge Trail
Date of Hike
Date of Hike: Saturday, April 1, 2023
Parking/Access Road Notes
Parking/Access Road Notes: Only car at 10am. 5 cars on return, all skiing. 
Surface Conditions
Surface Conditions: Snow - Packed Powder/Loose Granular, Snow - Spring Snow 
Recommended Equipment
Recommended Equipment: Snowshoes 
Water Crossing Notes
Water Crossing Notes: All fine 
Trail Maintenance Notes
Trail Maintenance Notes: There are a few blowdowns on scaur Trail that will probably be duck under when the five feet of snow melts. 
Dog-Related Notes
Dog-Related Notes: One skittish dog that was leashed when I passed. Dogs are officially allowed on Livermore as of April 1 according to signs. 
Bugs: Saw one flying bug  
Lost and Found
Lost and Found:  
Comments: Set out to out and back middle tripyramid. Tried to time it for forecasted sunshine at 3. Raining was variable until it stopped at 2. Looked like about 4 inches of snow overnight, that was pretty saturated with rain.

Groomed section of Livermore was extremely well packed [snowshoes or skis required] (stay off the ski tracks!). After the upper snows mountain intersection, the trail isn't groomed and snowshoes were required. Was able to follow the trough, sinking slightly occasionally. The base wasn't very flat and the walking was somewhat uncomfortable.

After reading Steve Smith's recent report, I decided to continue up the abandoned trail at the intersection for mt tripyramid trail to cut the switchback. It was pretty consolidated and looked like it see ski use. When I tried to cut up to scaur Trail I was post holing very deeply, so retraced my steps and used the actual trail.

Scaur Trail saw less use than Livermore, but at least the base was flat so it was easier on the ankles. The snow seems at least 5 feet deep and the trail is highly elevated. Around 3000 the woods turned to spruce and I was in the thick of it. It was more akin to a bushwhack. As Steve noted on his blog, the snow was considerable softer here. I was able to follow his tracks. The problem was, the trees were full of slush from the overnight snow and rain. It was about 40°F and was soaked to the bone after about 0.2 miles. It felt like an ice bath. With no hope of staying dry, and shivering setting in, I decided to abandon the hike. Quite a shame because I was feeling strong and making decent time in spite of breaking trail.

The trees should be free of snow by tomorrow and it will be quite doable. Snow shoes will be a necessity for the foreseeable future.  
Name: Uncle Bob 
Date Submitted
Date Submitted: 2023-04-01 
Bookmark and Share Disclaimer: Reports are not verified - conditions may vary. Use at own risk. Always be prepared when hiking. Observe all signs. Trail conditions reports are not substitutes for weather reports or common sense.

Copyright 2009-2023, All Rights Reserved