Hiking Trail Conditions Report
Peaks Wildcat A, Wildcat B, Wildcat C, Wildcat D, NH
Trails: Nineteen Mile Brook Trail, Wildcat Ridge Trail
Date of Hike
Date of Hike: Thursday, March 4, 2021
Parking/Access Road Notes
Parking/Access Road Notes: I bit icy at Nineteen Mile Brook lot but plenty of room on a weekday 
Surface Conditions
Surface Conditions: Snow - Packed Powder/Loose Granular, Snow - Unpacked Powder, Snow/Ice - Frozen Granular, Snow - Drifts, Snow/Ice - Postholes 
Recommended Equipment
Recommended Equipment: Snowshoes, Light Traction 
Water Crossing Notes
Water Crossing Notes: No major issues all bridged or easily stepped across 
Trail Maintenance Notes
Trail Maintenance Notes: A few duck unders and step overs but nothing crazy for this time of year 
Dog-Related Notes
Dog-Related Notes: Maddie did great and was very brave with the wind, also she's comfortable with deeper snow levels and likes to lead the way - I don't recommend bringing inexperienced winter dogs on this route until it's more broken out (see below) 
Lost and Found
Lost and Found:  
Comments: Challenging day on the Wildcats - spikes from the car to Carter Dome trail junction then snowshoes for the rest of the day, could have switched back to spikes at the same junction on the way down but was too lazy and just wanted to finish. Small drifts on 19 MB started a few tenths of a mile above the CDT junction, intermittent but increasing from a few inches up to 6-8" in spots approaching WRT junction. WRT up to A was essentially unbroken, previous trench visible in some spots but wind blown snow made for some tough trail breaking at times, average 6-12" with some drifts up to two feet approaching the summit - enough loose snow to kick in side steps with a stable base but the side hill was very tricky in a few locations especially just after the big left turn headed up (the slide crossings however didn't seem any trickier than the rest of the climb though). I went a bit past the big left turn on the way up and had to cut a short ways through the woods to get back on trail but corrected the track on the way down (I'd say take the left turn headed up instead of going straight but I'm sure my tracks will be blown in by tomorrow). Met one hiker on the summit of A who had done an out and back from the ski area, so grateful to follow two sets of snowshoe tracks by the time I started heading across the ridge - trail was roughly broken but snowshoes absolutely required. Super windy on the ridge but fairly easy going over to D with a few good butt slides headed down off C peak. The climb back up to A is always a grind and even though I was making the fourth pass on the trail with snowshoes today my tracks were still completely blown in in some places. The trip back down WRT to the notch was easier than up but still tedious at times, enough soft granular snow to kick in steps on the side hill but the legs were getting tired. Still pretty windy headed down 19MB but overall an uneventful trip out. Only saw two people all day but multiple sets of tracks headed up CDT on the way out so the Carters seemed to have been hiked today, no tracks from WRT junction down towards the hut and Carter Moriah trail though. With high winds in the forecast for the next few days snowshoes will be absolutely essential for this route this weekend and the trail up to A will need to be rebroken - Wildcat Ski Area reported no new snow in the past 48 hours and only 3" over the past week, just goes to show that no new snow in the mountains does NOT mean leave the snowshoes at home! We earned these today but great views and plenty of sun - thanks Maddie for a great day!  
Name: Hikes with Maddie 
Date Submitted
Date Submitted: 2021-03-04 
Link: http:// 
Bookmark and Share Disclaimer: Reports are not verified - conditions may vary. Use at own risk. Always be prepared when hiking. Observe all signs. Trail conditions reports are not substitutes for weather reports or common sense.

Copyright 2009-2019, All Rights Reserved