NewEnglandTrailConditions.com
NewEnglandTrailConditions.com:
MA
|
ME
|
NH
|
RI/CT
|
VT
|
Ski
Hiking Trail Conditions Report
Peaks
Peaks Wildcat D, Wildcat C, Wildcat B, Wildcat A, NH
Trails
Trails: Polecat ski trail, Wildcat Ridge Trail
Date of Hike
Date of Hike: Thursday, November 9, 2017
Parking/Access Road Notes
Parking/Access Road Notes: parked in Wildcat Ski area lot and I think I was the only hiker today. Personnel working at Wildcat were great with directions on where to find Polecat and how to avoid the snow guns (see below) 
Surface Conditions
Surface Conditions: Dry Trail, Ice - Black, Wet Trail, Ice - Breakable Crust, Mud - Minor/Avoidable 
Recommended Equipment
Recommended Equipment:  
Water Crossing Notes
Water Crossing Notes: None 
Trail Maintenance Notes
Trail Maintenance Notes: I went up and back Polecat ski trail at Wildcat Ski area and did Wildcat Ridge Trail from D Peak to A Peak. Waumbek had started the clearing process on Nov. 4th and without his efforts I would have given up. I finished up what Waumbek started with the exception of anything over 6 inches in diameter. Trail is probably 98 % clear from A to D, the remaining 2 percent is easy to duck under or step over, you won't miss a stride. The trail had spots of ice that required care on the ledge/rock areas going up and down over B and C peaks, the wood bridges made the wet areas easy to get through. The trail was mainly dry except for noted ice patches. 
Dog-Related Notes
Dog-Related Notes: none - probably would have been fine, but it was cold at the top with patches of ice. 
Bugs
Bugs:  
Lost and Found
Lost and Found: nothing 
 
Comments
Comments: Total surprise to see snow being made on some of the trails at Wildcat. Polecat was fine until the very top right before the end of the quad lift. I probably walked through 8 to 10 inches of snow for a few hundred yards at the very top. Not a problem. As I was descending saw three deer in the lower Polepole Trail. That was a nice touch to a good day on the trails. Didn't see anyone on the trail other than the workers at Wildcat Ski area.  
Name
Name: Bruce 
E-Mail
E-Mail:  
Date Submitted
Date Submitted: 2017-11-09 
Link
Link: http:// 
Bookmark and Share Disclaimer: Reports are not verified - conditions may vary. Use at own risk. Always be prepared when hiking. Observe all signs. Trail conditions reports are not substitutes for weather reports or common sense.

Copyright 2009-2019, All Rights Reserved