NewEnglandTrailConditions.com
NewEnglandTrailConditions.com:
MA
|
ME
|
NH
|
RI/CT
|
VT
|
Ski
Hiking Trail Conditions Report
Peaks
Peaks Wildcat D, Wildcat C, Wildcat B, Wildcat A, NH
Trails
Trails: Ski trails, Wildcat Ridge Trail
Date of Hike
Date of Hike: Monday, May 1, 2017
Parking/Access Road Notes
Parking/Access Road Notes:  
Surface Conditions
Surface Conditions: Dry Trail, Snow - Trace/Minimal Depth, Wet Trail, Snow/Ice - Frozen Granular, Snow/Ice - Monorail (Stable), Snow/Ice - Monorail (Unstable), Snow - Spring Snow, Snow/Ice - Postholes, Slush, Snow/Ice - Small Patches 
Recommended Equipment
Recommended Equipment: Light Traction 
Water Crossing Notes
Water Crossing Notes:  
Trail Maintenance Notes
Trail Maintenance Notes: The trail was in excellent shape. In one spot, someone had built an arrow out of wood to point the way, and it was appreciated. If you think the trail looks like it's taking a sharp 90 degree turn, you are probably going off trail. 
Dog-Related Notes
Dog-Related Notes:  
Bugs
Bugs: None! 
Lost and Found
Lost and Found:  
 
Comments
Comments: Went up Polecat around 11:30am. Trail was 60% covered with 1-3 inches of snow, the other 40% was bare ground. Put on microspikes right after the tower. Trail was maybe 85% covered in snow. In spots, it's still quite deep, in others, it was bare. From previous reports here and on Views From The Top I thought I might have been in snowshoes, but it was microspikes the whole way. Postholded maybe four times. Trail was often steep and often narrow, and I think snow shoes would have been difficult. By the time I was coming down, the snow on the slopes was slushy and very fun to bareboot down.

Be advised that if it's a warm day, you might want snow shoes--but always bring microspikes! Each day will also bring more bare trail and less snow at this point.  
Name
Name: Brian 
E-Mail
E-Mail: bsecret@hotmail.com 
Date Submitted
Date Submitted: 2017-05-06 
Link
Link: http:// 
Bookmark and Share Disclaimer: Reports are not verified - conditions may vary. Use at own risk. Always be prepared when hiking. Observe all signs. Trail conditions reports are not substitutes for weather reports or common sense.

Copyright 2009-2019, All Rights Reserved