Hiking Trail Conditions Report
Peaks Mt. Carrigain, NH
Trails: Signal Ridge Trail
Date of Hike
Date of Hike: Saturday, October 30, 2010
Parking/Access Road Notes
Parking/Access Road Notes: Fair number of cars but plenty of room left at start and finish. 
Surface Conditions
Surface Conditions: Dry Trail, Wet Trail, Wet/Slippery Rock, Mud - Minor/Avoidable, Snow - Trace/Minimal Depth 
Recommended Equipment
Recommended Equipment:  
Water Crossing Notes
Water Crossing Notes: Rock hops, some with flowing water on them, but overall no problem. Poles helpful on main crossing. 
Trail Maintenance Notes
Trail Maintenance Notes: I took out a small tree on my way back although last year's blade badly needs replacing. Only major blowdown a walk under. Rocks up high were slippery with a coating of snow on the descent; I would have liked to have had some nannospikes. Poles saved me from going down a couple of times. 
Dog-Related Notes
Dog-Related Notes: The mighty tough little dog had a pretty easy time of it. He did wade in a couple of the crossings but didn't ice up; and he did get quite wet from the snow on the way up. We saw 3 other nice dogs on our descent. 
Lost and Found
Lost and Found:  
Comments: Jefferson had been Plan A with another but the forecast put us on Plan B. It snowed the entire hike up, the snow melting on us. My synthetics kept me warm despite being quite wet as did Pepper's natural organics, and they dried out on the descent. Very little wind, only noticeable on the open ridge and top. Snow didn't accumulate over 1/4" but it made the rocks slippery on the way down, but the melt line had moved up to around 3300'. No views for us, but the skies lifted and lightened some half way down. We had a nice chat with Hiker Bob, Deb and his 7 legged octopus, and found Yves, the hiker who I confused more than helped in finding the Kate Sleeper trail 2 weeks ago on S. Tripyramid. Maybe he never got out and ended up here? He was hiking in a colorful sombrero and shawl and had trois jolie filles with him also in Halloween costumes, so I should be so lucky. We met a fair number of people on the hike down including a large overnight group. The hike was wintry until part way down on the descent, and by the end it was fall like, but on the drive back into Crawford Notch there was wind and some rain coming so we were lucky. Plan B turned out to be just fine.  
Name: Pepper and Me 
E-Mail: windriversjohn at 
Date Submitted
Date Submitted: 2010-10-30 
Link: https:// 
Bookmark and Share Disclaimer: Reports are not verified - conditions may vary. Use at own risk. Always be prepared when hiking. Observe all signs. Trail conditions reports are not substitutes for weather reports or common sense.

Copyright 2009-2024, All Rights Reserved