|Hiking Trail Conditions Report|
||Mt. Isolation, NH|
||Glen Boulder Trail, Davis Path, Isolation Trail, Isolation Spur|
|Date of Hike:
||Sunday, June 22, 2014|
|Parking/Access Road Notes:
||Dry Trail, Wet Trail, Standing/Running Water on Trail, Mud - Minor/Avoidable |
|Water Crossing Notes:
|Trail Maintenance Notes:
||Isolation East and the 0.3mi of Isolation that coincides with Davis are now clear of all major blow downs and drainages are as good as they are going to be. Isolation West is still closed and has whole sections of the trail taken out to land slides from the hurricanes a few years back. |
||No water between the spring above Glen Boulder until around Isolation West junction, where there are some unreliable springs running across the trail where Isolation and Davis coincide for 0.3mi. Then not much water all the way to Isolation summit. |
||Out and about but not biting too bad. |
|Lost and Found:
||Started hiking up at 8pm Friday, did our trail work on Saturday, and came out Sunday. As much as I love our trail, after hitting it from Glen Boulder for the first time, I don't think I ever want to hike in on Rocky Branch again. The elevation gain on Glen Boulder is killer, but oh so worth it for the views and cool terrain/features. |
Lots of people coming up on Sunday as we were heading out down Glen Boulder were asking us if Davis is clear. It's smooth sailing to Isolation, and I can't say myself but rumour is it is relatively easy going beyond.
We started to do some work on the upper half of Isolation West, which is still closed. When you hit the brook that's where things start to get crazy. Landslides took out whole sections of trail. As we were heading down, 2 hikers were coming up and something seemed off. Apparently there were no signs indicating Dry River and Isolation were closed and they had a very rough time on Dry River. When we called it a day around 5pm and started hiking back up, we saw someone in a sleeping bag lying across the trail. It was one of the hikers we saw who seemed dazed and very fatigued, and he managed to tell us his friend went to seek help. We gave him more water, sat with him for a while to assess his condition, and took down his name and general info. We decided since he seemed in stable condition to us and he had proper gear to no trigger our emergency beacon, and instead hike up to cell phone service and phone it in, and then go back down to check on him. Just as we set off, his buddy came down and told us he got a 911 call in and someone was coming up from Pinkham Notch with food and water and to check his vitals. They ended up getting him feeling better, they actually hiked up a mile to where we were camping, and they got out safely the next morning.
We were surprised to see so many people using the closed trails. Stay safe out there!
||Brian, Crystal & Kya |
||brian(dot)m(dot)schuster gmail |
Disclaimer: Reports are not verified - conditions may vary. Use at own risk. Always be prepared when hiking. Observe all signs. Trail conditions reports are not substitutes for weather reports or common sense.